Senior Lecturer - Nursing
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext 6056
Department of Nursing
North Shore Campus
AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND
- Doctor of Philosophy
- Diploma in Tertiary Teaching
- Master in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Nursing Council of New Zealand- Registrant Quality Committee Member
- Chair of Nursing Research Section- New Zealand Nurses Organisation
- AUT University Ethics Committee- Faculty of Health & Environmental Sciences Representative
- Executive Committee Member of New Zealand Association of Gerontology
- Steering Committee Member of AUT Centre for Active Ageing- Social Media Portfolio
- National Committee Member of NZNO – Gerontology Nurses Section
- Biosciences for Nurses:
* Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Doctoral and Master Project Supervision
- Social Gerontology
- Migrant Health (Cardiovascular and Stroke Risk)
- Health and well being of ageing ethnic groups in New Zealand
- Trends in nursing education
- Nursing workforce development
- Methodology: Mixed-Methods, Systematic Reviews and Focused Ethnography
Jed’s research areas include social gerontology, nursing education and nursing workforce development. Jed's gerontology research focuses on ageing and immigration. He has written several research papers on influence of culture to health, transitions, adjustments and acculturation experience of older immigrants into the mainstream societies. Jed has also undertaken research on nursing education topics, particularly on the pedagogical issues in teaching biosciences to nurses and nursing students.
Current Research Projects
Asian-New Zealanders: Health Profile and Dyadic Co-designed intervention for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction- Primary investigator
Filial piety and care arrangements for ageing immigrant parents: adult children’s views in a New Zealand context- Primary investigator
(as Primary Investigator)
2018- Biosciences for Nurses funded by Nursing Education Research Foundation (NERF)
2017- Older Migrants Experience of Ageing in New Zealand funded by AUT School of Clinical Sciences New and Emerging Researcher Grant
(as Co- Investigator)
2018- Age-Friendly Project: Hibiscus and Bays- through AUT Centre for Active Ageing funded by Auckland City Council
- Montayre, J., De-Arth, J., Shrestha-Ranjit, J., Neville, S., & Holroyd, E. (2019). Challenges and adjustments in maintaining health and well- being of older Asian immigrants in New Zealand: An integrative review. Australasian Journal on Ageing. doi: 10.1111/ajag.12616
- Montayre, J. (2019). Culture and Health: A Critical Analysis on Older Asian-New Zealanders. Pacific Health. https://doi.org/10.24135/pacifichealth.v2i0.37
- Montayre, J., Dimalapang, E., Sparks, T., & Neville, S. (2019). New Zealand nursing students' perceptions of biosciences: A cross-sectional survey of relevance to practice, teaching delivery, self-competence and challenges. Nurse Education Today. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2019.05.013
- Thaggard, S., & Montayre, J. (2019). There was no-one I could turn to because I was ashamed”: Shame in the narratives of women affected by IPV. Women’s Studies International Forum, 74 (1), 218-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wsif.2019.05.005
- Neville, S., Montayre, J., & Jackson, D. (2019). Editorial. What’s in a name: How nursing positions older people negatively? Journal of Clinical Nursing. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.14844
- Gautam, S., Neville, S., & Montayre, J. (2019). What is known about the spirituality in older adults living in residential care facilities? An Integrative Review. International Journal of Older People Nursing. https://doi.org/10.1111/opn.12228
- Almeida, S., & Montayre, J. (2019). An integrative review of nurse-led virtual clinics. Nursing Praxis in New Zealand, 35(1), 18-29.
- Montayre, J. (2018).Editorial. Nursing the future: Braving possibilities, challenges and dilemmas. Nursing Praxis in New Zealand, 34(1), 5-6.
- Montayre, J., Neville, S., Wright-St Clair, V., Holroyd, E., & Adams, J. (2018). Late‐life Living and Care Arrangements of Older Filipino‐New Zealanders. Journal of Clinical Nursing. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.14625
- Montayre, J., Montayre, J., & Thaggard, S. (2018). Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Older Adults and Mainstream Long-term-Care Facilities: An Integrative Review of Views and Experiences. Research in Gerontological Nursing. https://doi.org/10.3928/00989134-20180629-02
- Montayre, J., Montayre, J., & Thaggard, S. (2018). The elder orphan in healthcare settings: An integrative review. Journal of Population Ageing. DOI: 10.1007/s12062-018-9222-x
- Neville, S., Wright-St Clair, V., Montayre, J., Adams, J., & Larmer, P. (2018). Promoting age-friendly communities: An integrative review of inclusion for older immigrants. Journal of Cross-Cultural Gerontology.doi.org/10.1007/s10823-018-9359-3.
- Kamblijambi, J., Montayre, J., Saravanakumar, P., & Holroyd, E. (2018). Losing Blood and Saving Lives: Recognizing the Problems and Impacts. Midwifery. doi:10.1016/j.midw.2018.08.012
- Neville, S., Adams, J.,Montayre, J., Larmer, P., Garrett, N., Stephens, C., & Alpass, F. (2018). Loneliness in Men 60 Years and Over: The Association With Purpose in Life. American Journal of Men’s Health, 1-10. doi.org/10.1177/1557988318758807
- Montayre, J. (2018). Migrant nurses and aged care nursing. Nursing Review, retrieved from http://nursingreview.co.nz/opinion-jed-montayre-migrant-nurses-and-aged-care-nursing/
- Montayre, J., & Sparks, T. (2017). As I haven’t seen a T-cell, video-streaming helps: Nursing students’ preference towards online learning materials for biosciences. Collegian. doi.org/10.1016/j.colegn.2017.12.001
- Montayre, J., Montayre, J., & Holroyd, E. (2018). The Global Filipino Nurse: An Integrative Review of Filipinos Nurses’ Work Experiences. Journal of Nursing Management. DOI: 10.1111/jonm.12552
- Montayre, J., Neville, S., & Holroyd, E. (2017). Moving backwards and moving forward: The experiences of older Filipino migrants adjusting to life in New Zealand. International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-being. doi.org/10.1080/17482631.2017.1347011.
- Montayre, J., & Montayre, J. (2017). Nursing work in Long-Term Care: An Integrative Review . Journal of Gerontological Nursing. DOI: 10.3928/00989134-20170519-02.
- Montayre, J., & Sparks, T. (2017). Important yet unnecessary: Nursing students' perceptions of anatomy and physiology laboratory sessions. Teaching and Learning in Nursing. doi:10.1016/j.teln.2017.03.009.
- Montayre, J., Montayre, J.C., & Bandong, C.J. (2017). Family and Caregiving Values: Factors Influencing Career Choice of Filipino Nursing Students. UV Journal of Research, 10(16), 15-21.
- Ramsay, S., Montayre, J., Eglin, V., & Holroyd, E. (2017). Migrant caregiving for family members with mild cognitive impairment: An ethnographic study. Contemporary Nurse. doi.org/10.1080/10376178.2017.1346480.
- Montayre, J. (2017). What makes gerontology nursing a specialty? Kai Tiaki Nursing New Zealand, 23(10), 17.
- Montayre, J. (2017). Filipino Nurses in Aged Care: Not deskilling at all. Nursing Review, 17(3), 31.
- Montayre, J. (2016). Editorial. Migrant nurses need more support. Kai Tiaki Nursing New Zealand, 22(5), 2.
- Montayre, J. (2015). Critical thinking in nursing education: addressing the theory-practice gap. Nursing Review, 15(4), 25.
- Montayre, J. (2015). Negativity surrounds aged-care nursing. Kai Tiaki Nursing New Zealand, 21(10), 27.
Book Chapter Contribution
Montayre, J. (2017). Older person in acute care. In M. Bernoth & D. Winkler (Eds).Healthy Ageing and Aged Care. Oxford University Press: South Melbourne
KEYNOTE ADDRESSES/ INVITED SPEAKER:
Montayre, J.(2019, February). Promoting Global Health Education through Exemplary Research and Instruction. Centennial Lecture Series, 8th February, University of the Visayas, Cebu, Philippines
Montayre, J. (2018, April). The Older Filipino-New Zealanders: Living Arrangements, Adjustments and Challenges Living in Aotearoa. Age Concerns Everyone. Aged Concern Conference 2018. Wellington, New Zealand.
Montayre, J. (2017, February). Research, Ethics and Development towards a better Community. Multidisciplinary Research Conference, 17th February, University of the Visayas, Cebu, Philippines
Jauny, R., Neville, S., Montayre, J., & Wright-St Clair. (2018). What is the lived experience of older migrants with mild cognitive impairment. New Zealand Association of Gerontology "The Mosaic of Ageing" Conference, 6th to 8th September, Auckland, New Zealand.
Dunn, I., Montayre, J., Shrestha-Ranjit, J., Taylor, L., Neville, S., & Wright-St Clair. (2018). Effectiveness of community-based physical activity programmes for culturally and linguistically diverse older adults: A systematic review. New Zealand Association of Gerontology "The Mosaic of Ageing" Conference, 6th to 8th September, Auckland, New Zealand.
Montayre, J. (2017). Moving backwards and moving forward: The experiences of older Filipino migrants adjusting to life in New Zealand. AUT Centre for Active Ageing Event: UN International Day of Older Persons 2017. Auckland, New Zealand.
Interviewed and Profile Featured by Nursing Review News August 23, 2018 in an article titled Kiwi future nurse leaders off to Geneva. Source: http://nursingreview.co.nz/kiwi-future-nurse-leaders-off-to-geneva/
Interviewed and Quoted by INsite Aged Care and Retirement news August 6, 2018 in an article titled Aged care sector faces nurse shortage. Source: http://insitemagazine.co.nz/2018/08/06/aged-care-sector-faces-nurse-shortage/
Interviewed and Quoted by Nursing Review News May 28, 2017 in an article titled Kiwi Filipino nurses supporting ex- pats down-under. Source http://nursingreview.co.nz/kiwi-filipino-nurses-supporting-ex-pats-down-under/
Interviewed and Quoted by Nursing Review News July 11, 2017 in an article titled Migrant Nurse Caregivers ‘insulted’ and cut-out of top pay rate. Source: http://nursingreview.co.nz/migrant-nurse-caregivers-insulted-and-cut-out-of-top-pay-rate/
Interviewed and Profile featured by AUT News October 18, 2016 on NZNO Young Nurse of the Year Award 2016 article can be retrieved Source: https://news.aut.ac.nz/news/young-nurse-of-the-year-goes-to-aut-lecturer
Interviewed and Profile featured in Nursing Review September 8, 2016 News on NZNO Young Nurse of the Year Award 2016 article can be retrieved from http://archive.nursingreview.co.nz/news-feed/2016/filipino-nursing-lecturer- honoured/#.WhMpsjtx2os
Interviewed and Profile featured in Kai Tiaki NZNO Nursing Magazine November 2014 Issue Volume 20 (10), pp. 18 – Focusing on Aged Care Nursing
- International Council of Nurses- Global Nursing Leadership Institute Fellow 2018
- McCutchan Trust Scholarship Award 2017
- New Zealand Nurses Organisation Young Nurse of the Year Award 2016
- Best Presentation Award- Research Symposium, Invercargill (2013)